On the education front, West Baton Rouge Parish School Superintendent Wes Watts is bringing needed attention to our schools, and he is personally focused on each individual student. “No child left behind” should be his motto when he explains his plan for the future of our school system. To say he is creating a buzz in the region is an understatement. In 2016, the five-year strategic blueprint, 2020 Vision, launched. The goal—make West Baton Rouge Parish a top ten rated school system in Louisiana. Areas of focus declared by members of the school board are Academics, Personnel, Budget and Buildings. Superintendent Watts said, “Our students will have college and career choices because of their character, knowledge, professional certifications, and competitive ACT scores. Caring people, expanding business and industry, and schools ‘Making Awesome Happen’ are why 2016 is a great time to live in West Baton Rouge.”
Key components of Vision 2020 include:
- Recruit and retain great teachers.
- Provide high-quality instruction, a rigorous K-12 curriculum, and character building experiences.
- Increase advanced and technical course offerings.
- Expand our Dow STEM Academy and Visual and Performing Arts programs.
- Update facilities to provide optimal learning environments.
- Improve our cutting edge Technology, and Early Childhood initiatives.
To learn more about the West Baton Rouge Parish School System and Vision 2020, click here.