The West Baton Rouge Chamber of Commerce is currently looking to hire an Executive Director. To apply for this position, please submit your resume with three letters of reference to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Position: Executive Director
The Executive Director is responsible and accountable to the Board of Directors to provide executive leadership to the West Baton Rouge Chamber of Commerce
Reports to: West Baton Rouge Chamber Board of Directors
- Minimum of 5-10 years management/executive level experience in a business-related field or other leadership position, including supervision of professional staff and oversight of finances.
- Working knowledge of local, regional, state and national level political systems and experience in developing collaborative relationships in these areas.
- Previous chamber related management experience will be a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university required; or comparable professional training and experience attained through industry, association service or military.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Occasionally required to push, pull, bend and perform long periods of standing and walking as needed.
- Must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, and frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Must be able to coordinate the movement of eyes, hands, feet, and fingers to operate in an office environment and occasionally at chamber related functions.
- Required to be medically approved for the position by a certified provider for the chamber.
Personnel Management Responsibilities:
- Oversee the management of chamber staff including hiring, termination, performance reviews, salary and benefits administration (if applicable), policy and general supervision.
- Coach and develop the internal leadership team to attain consistent, highly effective performance.
- Develop and continuous improvement initiatives, create better business practices and an organizational structure that will optimize performance and operating results. Create internal management system of key performance indicators (KPI’s) to monitor staff activity and performance against goals with continued supervision.
- Promote a professional office working environment of excellence, external and internal collaboration and professional standards for the organization. Build accountability into the culture.
Financial Management Responsibilities:
- Oversee the general finances of the Chamber.
- With approval of the Board of Directors, develop an annual budget for the chamber’s operations that delineates projected revenues, expenses and a projected net profit as appropriate.
- Lead, direct and develop the chamber’s fund-raising strategies and campaigns.
- Monitor the chamber’s fiscal condition continuously and adjust accordingly.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the Chamber, including management of programs, staffing, membership and marketing efforts with Chamber staff.
- Work with the chair to prepare agendas and materials for Board and Executive Committee meetings.
- Develop goals and objectives for recommendation to the Board.
- Serve as principal spokesperson and ambassador to the Chamber.
- Represent the Chamber at business and community events, meetings, etc.
- Build partnerships with other organizations.
- Support the officers of the Chamber.
- Direct the annual and long-term planning process.
- Fulfill position responsibilities as assigned in accordance with the Chamber By Laws.
- Attend Chamber board committee meetings and provide staff support to committee efforts.
- Participate in higher level membership and sponsorship sales support.
- Identify and develop revenue generation programs and events.
- Oversee organization of chamber retreats and events.
- Assure organization priorities are responsive to member needs and serve to advance the parish economic prosperity.
- Maintain a continuous open communication with the Board of Directors; work with the Board in the governance of the Chamber and bring issues to the board in a timely manner.
- Implement a marketing plan for the chamber to assure a positive community image.
- Develop and maintain a positive and partnership relationship with city, parish, state and governmental agencies, including neighboring chambers.
- Develop goals and long-term plans for the chamber.
- Any additional duties as assigned by the Chairperson and/or the Board of Directors.
Skills and Abilities:
- Outstanding public speaking and presentation skills.
- Effective written and communication skills.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Outstanding time management and event planning skills.
- Strong ability to foster teamwork and collaboration between Board members, staff, chamber members, community leaders, elected officials and strategic committees and organizations.
- Strong executive and supervisory skills, including the ability to plan, organize, lead, delegate and monitor all activities of the chamber.
- Passion for collaboration and networking to achieve a continuous and positive atmosphere for the chamber.
- Demonstrate ability to prepare and manage a budget, analyze organization performance and to project financial performance.
- Ability to recognize and perform cost-benefit analysis of proposed ideas, projects and events.
- Ability to work a wide and flexible range of business hours, including travel as needed.
- Ability to motivate others to be champions of the chamber’s activities and initiatives.
- Strong commitment to personal growth to achieve the best performance.
- Commitment to professional and best business practices of the chamber.